blank blank blank
Header Left Header Center Header Right
Sheriff's Department

Property Tax Collection FAQ's

Q: When is my current bill due?

A: The Sheriff normally receives the tax bills from the County Clerk at the end of September. By statute, we may not accept tax payments prior to this time. Most taxpayers should anticipate receiving their bills the first week of October. The bill will show five different due dates and payment amounts. For the current tax year, the dates and amounts due are as follows: Received or postmarked by:

On or Before 11/1/2015 Face value, less a 2% discount
On or Before 12/31/2015 Face value
On or Before 01/31/2016 Face value, plus a 5% penalty
After 02/01/2016 Face value, plus a 21% penalty
After 03/01/2016 Face value, plus 21% penalty and $5 advertising fee and $5 Sheriff fee

Our office recognizes postmarks as evidence of timely payment. Collection dates and penalty amounts are set by statute and approved by the Kentucky Revenue Cabinet; our Office has no authority to negotiate these matters.

Q: What are the 2015 property tax rates?

A: Click here for the current tax rates.

Q: What if I haven't received my tax bill by October 15, 2015?

A: If you have not received your tax bill by this date, please contact our office and a duplicate bill will be sent to you promptly.

Q: Does my mortgage company receive my tax bill.

A: Unfortunately no, due to lenders selling mortgages to one another we are unable to send tax bills to them in an accurate manner. It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure the mortgage company receives the tax bill for payment. If you're unsure if your mortgage company will be paying your taxes, you should contact your mortgage company immediately.

Q: Where and how may I make a payment?

A: You may mail a check or money order with a copy of your tax bill, or you may pay in person at our office.

Harrison County Sheriff's Office
113 West Pike Street
Cynthiana, Ky 41031-1401

Q: Can I pay my tax bill with a credit card?

A: Credit cards are currently accepted only in person at our courthouse office. Please be aware that a fee of 2.75% will be added to the bill amount by Visa, Mastercard or Discover plus $1.50. 3.5% will be added to the bill amount by American Express plus $1.50 These fees are not negotiable by us.

Q: Can I make payments on my tax bill?

A: Unfortunately, we are unable to accept partial payments on tax bills. If you're having difficulty paying your bill, make sure you're receiving any exemptions, such as homestead or disability, to which you may be entitled. It's also recommended to plan in advance for this annual expense. Although rates and assessments may change from year to year, the amount due is usually similar from one year to the next. If you have a mortgage, you could consider establishing an escrow account with your lender. The mortgage company will then add enough to your monthly mortgage payment to pay your property taxes on your behalf at the end of the year.

Q: May I pay multiple bills with one payment?

A: Yes.

Q: Will I receive a receipt for my tax payment?

A: Your cancelled check or money order stub serves as your receipt; however, we will mail you a receipt if you enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your tax payment. If you pay in person at our physical address, we will be glad to provide a receipt at the time you make your payment.

Q: What is the official tax year?

A: The tax year for our community is a calendar tax year. In other words, the bill that you receive in October of the current year represents the taxes you owe for the period beginning January 1, of the current year, and ending December 31, of the current year.

Q: What do I do with my tax bill if it is for a house I sold?

A: Please forward that tax bill to the new owner at your prior address.

Q: To whom do I pay delinquent taxes for prior tax years?

A: Please contact the Harrison County Clerk at 859-234-7130 to request a payoff amount for delinquent real property tax bills.

Q: Who pays the taxes on the property that I bought or sold during the year?

A: Kentucky law requires the tax bill to be issued in the name of the January 1st owner. If the house has been sold or transferred after January 1st, the bills are normally sent in care of the new owner. However, for sales or transfers close to the date the tax bills are printed, there may be inadequate time to update this information. As explained above, the tax bill covers the period of January 1st through December 31st. Therefore, a closing agent or attorney will usually calculate and collect the pro rated taxes due from each party at closing. In some cases, the agent or attorney will then pay the bill to the Sheriff. In other cases, the buyer or seller may receive a credit on the settlement statement but will then be responsible for paying the bill to the Sheriff. Please check with your closing agent or attorney for instructions on your responsibility. Also note that our office requires payment in full of the tax bill by one or both of the parties; we cannot accept prorated payments.

Q: What are, and to whom do I apply for, Homestead and Disability Exemptions?

A: These are exemptions that enable you to reduce the taxable assessment (and accordingly your tax bill) of the home that you own and within which you live if you are over the age of 65. or are totally disabled. Please refer any questions regarding these exemptions to the Property Valuation Administrator's Office at 859-234-7133.

Harrison County Sheriff's Office
113 West Pike St.
Cynthiana, KY 41031

Phone: (859) 234-7135
Monday-Friday 8:30 - 4:30
Programs & Services
bullet  Sheriff Department
bullet  Auto Inspections
bullet  Neighborhood Watch Program
bullet  Concealed Deadly Weapons
bullet  Concealed Weapons FAQs
bullet  Justice Center
bullet  Prisoner Transport
bullet  Property Tax Collection
bullet  Property Tax Collection FAQs
bullet  Service of Process
bullet  Sex Offender's FAQ
bullet  Sex Offender's Search & Info
bullet  About Us

Sheriff's Office
113 West Pike
Cynthiana, KY 41031
Phone: (859) 234-7135
Phone: (859) 234-7197
Fax: (859) 234-5008


You may need Adobe's Free, Acrobat Reader to view Adobe .pdf documents. Download from Adobe

blank blank blank