|Absentee Voter Information
What if I am unable to get to the polls on election day?
You may request the absentee ballot application from your county clerk's office in person, by mail, by phone or by fax. The deadline for applying for a mail-in absentee ballot is seven days before an election.
You may vote an absentee ballot on a voting machine in the county clerk's office for at least 12 days before the election if you meet one of the following conditions:
ABSENTEE BALLOT VOTING BY MACHINE
You may request a mail-in absentee ballot if you meet one of these requirements:
1. VOTER WHO WILL BE OUTSIDE THE COUNTY ON ELECTION DAY.
2. STUDENT WHO TEMPORARILY RESIDES OUTSIDE THE COUNTY IN WHICH
HE IS REGISTERED WHO WILL BE OUT OF THE COUNTY ON ELECTION DAY.
3. VOTER WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OR A DEPENDENT OF A
MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES AND WILL BE OUT OF THE COUNTY ON
4. VOTER WHO IS A MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES WHO WILL BE CONFINED TO BASE WITHIN THE COUNTY ON ELECTION DAY AND WHO LEARNS OF THAT CONFINEMENT WITHIN 7 DAYS OR LESS OF THE ELECTION.
5. VOTER WHO IS A CITIZEN RESIDING OVERSEAS AND WILL BE OUT OF THE COUNTY ON ELECTION DAY.
6. VOTER OR SPOUSE OF VOTER WHO HAS SURGERY SCHEDULED THAT WILL REQUIRE HOSPITALIZATION ON ELECTION DAY.
7. PRECINCT ELECTION OFFICER SERVING IN A PRECINCT OTHER THAN THAT IN WHICH HE IS REGISTERED OR AN ALTERNATE PRECINCT ELECTION OFFICER.
8. MEMBER OR ANY STAFF FOR THE COUNTY BOARD OF ELECTIONS; ANY DEPUTY COUNTY CLERK; ANY STAFF FOR THE STATE BOARD OF ELECTIONS.
9. FOR PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT ONLY: MOVED TO ANOTHER STATE AFTER ITS
REGISTRATION BOOKS CLOSED.
10. A WOMAN IN HER LAST TRIMESTER OF PREGNANCY.
MAIL-IN ABSENTEE BALLOT VOTING
If you have a medical emergency, you or your spouse may apply for a medical emergency absentee ballot within 14 days or less of an election.
1. VOTER WHO DUE TO AGE, DISABILITY OR ILLNESS WILL BE UNABLE TO GO TO THE POLLS.
2. VOTER WHO IS A RESIDENT OF KENTUCKY WHO IS A COVERED VOTER KRS 117A.010. MILITARY/OVERSEAS/DEPENDENT
3. STUDENT WHO TEMPORARILY RESIDES OUTSIDE THE COUNTY IN WHICH HE IS REGISTERED.
4. VOTER WHO TEMPORARILY RESIDES OUTSIDE THE STATE BUT IT STILL ELIGIBLE
TO VOTE IN KENTUCKY. BALLOT MUST BE MAILED TO VOTER OUT OF STATE.
5. PERSON WHO IS INCARCERATED IN JAIL AND HAS BEEN CHARGED WITH A CRIME BUT HAS YET TO BE CONVICTED OF THE CRIME.
6. PERSON WHOSE EMPLOYMENT LOCATION REQUIRES HIM TO BE ABSENT FROM THE COUNTY ALL HOURS AND ALL DAYS ABSENTEE VOTING BY MACHINE IS CONDUCTED.
7. MILITARY PERSONNEL CONFINED TO A MILITARY BASE ON ELECTION DAY.
8. FOR PRESIDENTIAL BALLOT ONLY: MOVED TO ANOTHER STATE AFTER ITS REGISTRATION BOOKS CLOSED.
9. PERSON WHO IS A PARTICIPANT IN THE OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE'S ADDRESS CONFIDENTIALITY PROGRAM.
For answers to the following questions, please visit the Secretary of State website:
• What are the qualifications to be a precinct officer?
• What are candidate qualifications?
• How can I receive voter registration data forms?
• Can I print a voter registration card?
You will need Adobe's Free, Acrobat Reader to view Adobe .pdf documents. Download from Adobe